If you are looking for more information about chickens, check out our numerous blogs that cover just about everything you’d like to know. From fun facts to common questions, we have it all!
- How To Deal With A Loud Rooster Dec 9, 2021 - If you’re lucky enough to live in an area where you can have roosters, you probably won’t think twice about the rampant crowing. You wouldn’t be wrong, either! Most areas that are very rural or zoned agricultural are pretty rooster-friendly. So, how to deal with a loud rooster would never be an issue Though there [...]
- A History of Chickens: Then (1900) Vs Now (2022) Nov 18, 2021 - When talking about the history of chickens, the chickens today are spoiled beyond belief compared to Grandmas’ hens. Hens of the past (1900s) had no regular access to essential commodities such as water and feed- this severely limited their egg-laying rate and also the size which they grew. The chicken wasn’t considered a necessary ‘livestock’ [...]
- Is It Safe To Feed My Chickens Table Scraps? Oct 22, 2021 - Many first-time chicken keepers ask a common question: “Can I feed my chickens table scraps/leftovers”? We have recently had several people email and ask us this, so today, we are going to delve down and take a look. We have touched upon what to feed (or not feed) chickens in our previous blog post: why [...]
- How Much Room Do Chickens Need? Mar 9, 2021 - Before we ever entertained the idea of keeping chickens in our garden, we were long under the impression that you need lots of land to keep chickens- ideally, at least an acre of grass. Fortunately, this isn’t the case (unless you are planning on keeping thousands of them!), and you’d be surprised by the actual [...]
- The Ultimate Duck Breed Guide Aug 14, 2020 - We review the most popular duck breeds from A to Z. Keeping ducks is possible for anyone, even if you do not live on a large homestead with a pond or large body of water. The question is what kind of breed is suitable for you and your family? What do you want to achieve [...]
- 9 Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Get Backyard Chickens May 12, 2020 - There are many reasons why people get backyard chickens- fresh eggs and a self-sufficient lifestyle are some of the most common. Unfortunately, sometimes people who aren’t suitable to raise chickens rush into it and end up with chickens only to give them away after several weeks. Sooner or later these people realize that chickens are [...]
- The Easiest Way to Catch a Chicken Mar 1, 2020 - Sounds simple doesn’t it? When I first started out with chickens and had a handful of ladies it was simple. They all knew and trusted me – so I could easily scoop them up and do whatever was needed. When I was done, I would plop them down and give them a treat so they [...]