There’s a wide variety of bird cages online, but how can you find the best one for your feathery companion?
Birdcages are more than just a basic need for birds. It should feel more of a home where they’ll find security and freedom at the same time.
But choosing between different types and sizes may put you in a dilemma.
So, in this article, we’ll show you:
- How to determine the right cage for your bird
- Where to find the best bird cages options out there
- And share some tips on how to ensure your bird’s safety when choosing their home
If you’re a newbie in the world of bird ownership, you’ll surely benefit from this buying guide and insightful review.
So, without further ado, let’s talk about how to choose the best cage for your feathery friend.
How to Choose the Right Bird Cages for Your Pets
When looking for the right cage for your bird and your space, these are the factors you need to consider:
1.Choose a location for the birdcage
The first factor you need to consider is the area where you will place your bird’s cage.
Preferably, it should be in a place away from windows and drafts.
However, it’s worth noting that it has to be in an active section of your house so you can encourage your bird’s social growth.
After that, you can then shop for a cage that works in that location.
2.Determine the right bird cage size
The next step is to consider your bird’s size.
Tiny birds like Finches and Canaries don’t mind living in a small cage.
However, larger species need massive cages, and it’s always best to provide the largest one you possibly can for your bird.
Birds are severely restricted in captivity, and it’s far from the freedom they experience in the wild.
Therefore, it’s essential that they can freely move, fly, climb, play, do acrobatics and forage in their tiny home.
Remember that keeping many birds in a small cage can lead to fights between them and the development of undesirable behaviors.
It includes screaming, biting, feather plucking, aggressiveness, and other psychological issues.
Tip: The rule of thumb you need to remember when looking for the right cage size is to find one that’s large enough for the bird to extend its wings and fly for 3 to 4 wingbeats.
However, the size requirement can become more complex if you’ll be having many birds with different species in a single cage.
How to calculate the right cage size
To give you an idea on how to calculate the right cage size for your bird, let’s say you’ll be having a single Parakeet for example.
A Parakeet only needs 6,500 cubic inches of space.
But you’ll have to add an area of 4,000 cubic inches or about 2.3 cubic feet every time you add a new bird to your flock.
So, if you’re welcoming multiple avian pets, an aviary or a large cage or enclosure is a more practical choice.
Since each bird varies in size, the minimum cage size requirement for each variety is as well.
So here’s a simple cage size guide you can take as a reference for the five common bird species:
|Length (cm)||Width (cm)||Height (cm)|
3.Look out for the bar spacing in bird cages
When choosing a cage, you also have to look into its bar spacing to ensure your bird can’t escape and predators can’t enter.
The spacing size of the birdcages must be proportional to the bird’s head size.
It’d be better if you’d measure the bird’s head diameter and find a cage with a wire spacing that is no larger than half the diameter of its head.
For example, if your pet’s head is about an inch, you’ll need a birdcage with a bar spacing of half an inch or less.
For small species like Parakeets and lovebirds, the recommended bar spacing is no more than half-inch apart.
They won’t be able to squeeze through the bar nor get stuck in between with this spacing.
As for medium-sized birds like Mini Macaws, Conures, Lories, and Quakers, the space should be at least 1/2 inch but not more than 7/8 of an inch.
On the other hand, for large species like African Greys, Macaws, Toucans, and Cockatoos, the minimum spacing is 3/4 of an inch.
But it must not exceed 3/8 of an inch. It’d be best if you can find cages with horizontal bars because it’s more practical than those with vertical lines.
It allows large birds to climb and perch into the bars.
4.Find the best shape and style of bird cages
What’s your preference in cage design and shape?
Round cages are often stylish and visually appealing.
However, some vets stated that round cages are detrimental to the bird’s psychological health.
That explains why they recommend angled cages.
You can either hang it or place it on a stand if it doesn’t have one.
5.Assess the quality and craftsmanship of bird cages
The last thing you need to look at is the quality of the cage – it has to be solid and durable.
Powder-coated steel is more common nowadays as it is less expensive and fashionable.
On the contrary, stainless steels cages are more expensive.
But they’re a much safer option for your bird’s health and well-being because it’s non-toxic, easy to clean, and doesn’t chip.
Since there’s a chance your pet might ingest the chips and rusts, they’re hazardous for birds.
Therefore, you should avoid materials that chip at all costs.
The other cage option you can find is the acrylic type. It’s more virtually attractive but not as durable as metal cages.
If you have non-destructive birds like Finch or Canaries, a wooden cage will do for you.
However, it’s difficult to clean and unsuitable for hookbills because they can chew their way out of the cage.
7 Types of Bird Cages You Can Choose From
There’s a wide range of cage options you can choose from in the market, but the most common ones are the following.
1.Aviary or flight cage
This flight cage is spacious enough to accommodate many birds and enable them to spread their wings and fly.
Aviaries often contain plants and shrubs, making them look similar to bird’s natural environment.
This cage design is what you often see out there- it’s rectangular and varies in width and height.
It looks similar to a classic cage, but what makes it unique is the curve top.
Some designs have doors at the top, and they’re often referred to as Victorian bird cages.
As its name suggests, a play-top cage has a play area on the top where you can put perches, toy hangers, and feeders.
Active birds need time to explore and something they can use their energy on, so this cage design suits them.
This small-sized portable birdcage is designed to transport birds from one place to another.
They are vast bird cages that are used to house a considerable number of large birds.
It’s a unique cage that’s designed to fit into a corner of your home.
7.Double Bird or Breeding Cages
This large cage features a barrier useful for separating birds of the same sex to prevent them from injuring one another.
With these cage types, the birds may quickly get to know one another before breeding.
Parts of Bird Cages
A birdcage is made up of the following parts:
1.Access door- provides entry access to the cage
2.Perches – a horizontal rod or branch where a bird sits on or rests
3.Cage locks – an essential part that secures the cage
4.Seed guard- hold seeds inside the cage, preventing them from falling out
5.Removable food tray- it makes it easier for owners to clean up the bird’s mess
6.Play top stand- an area at the cage’s top that provides extra space where birds can play
7.Storage- the space under the cage where you can place the accessories and the bird’s food
8.Wheels- it makes it easy for you to mobilize large cages
Our Top Picks for Best Bird Cages
Now, we’re presenting to you our top picks for the best bird cages.
You may find other cages, not on this list, but these enclosures definitely stood out and are reliable.
- Our flight cage makes the perfect home for multiple parakeets, canaries or finches
- 4 Plastic double cups and 3 wood perches are included
- Bottom grille and drawer slide out for convenient cleaning
- Durable wrought iron construction is easy to assemble
- 31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
1. Prevue Hendryx Iron Bird Cage
This birdcage sports a minimalistic design, but its exceptional durability and durability make it top the list.
Its heavy-duty wrought iron construction makes it stable and durable.
It’s mainly designed for large bird species, as seen in its spacious build.
But it is also suitable for smaller pet birds like parakeets, finches, and canaries because of its half-inch bar spacing.
It also comes with freebies like four double plastic cups, three wooden perches, and a bottom grille with a drawer slide at the bottom.
So, you can store food and pet supplies on the tray, and it’s so easy to clean.
But like other cages out there, you can ensure that the product you received is free from hazards like sharp burrs.
This way, you can avoid injuries and ensure your pet’s safety.
Since it also has four wheels at the bottom, moving this cage to a different location in your home is hassle-free.
- Comes with three wooden perches
- With bottom grille
- Slide-out drawer
- Four double plastic cups
- Brand: Prevue Hendryx
- Model: F040
- Weight: 19 lbs
- Measurement: 53 inches tall, 31 inches long & 20,5 inches wide
- Heavy-duty construction
- Easy to clean design
- Spacious flight cage
- Ease of mobility
- Lacks debris guard
- Challenging to assemble
- Some prongs may be bent
- Wire bird cage suitable for budgies, canaries, finches, parrotlets and lineolated parakeets
- Debris guard helps keep waste inside cage and bird cage detaches from base for fast, easy cleaning
- Non-invasive, exterior access to seed and water cups reduces stress to birds
- Includes two waste shields, two green bird seed and water dishes, and four green bird perches
2.Vision M02 Wire Bird Cage
This cage is smaller than the first one and will suit smaller birds like Budgies, Canaries, Finches, and Parrotlets.
Its unique no-drawer design sets it apart from others.
It makes cleaning hassle-free because you just have to detach the cage portion and empty the base’s contents into the waste bin.
Its deep base can handle various litter types, and the raised ridges inside the base prevent mildew by providing air circulation.
The seed and water cups are easy to access, too, making bird maintenance seemingly effortless.
Additionally, it has multi-grip perches that feature a unique design similar to new sprouts of tree branches.
These stable platforms promote exercise and healthy living and prevent foot problems as well.
The downside of this cage design is it doesn’t have any stand and wheels for mobility.
But, you can place it on your countertop or window sill.
However, it can be risky if you have cats in your home that birds can easily attract.
- Two waste shields
- Two seed/water cups
- Four multi-grip perches
- Model: 83255
- Weight: 12.24 Pounds
- Dimension: 24 x 15 x 34.5 inches
- Easy-to-clean and access
- Sleek appearance
- Reliable cage quality
- Smaller dimension
- Lacks stand and wheels
- 🐦【Sturdy and Powder-Coated Metal Frame】- The whole frame of this bird cage is constructed of high-quality steel and handled with exquisite powder finish coating. It will remain rust-resistant and ensure safety of birds or parrots inside.
- 🐦【Removable Metal Tray for Easy Cleaning】- The bottom metal tray is removable, which brings much convenience for cleaning the cage, your parrots’ home. Two front doors design are also convenient for you to clean the inner part of the cage, lockable design ensures birds’ safety.
- 🐦【Easy to Move with Four Flexible Casters】- Removable grate with four flexible casters greatly helps you to easily move the cage. The bottom shelf is a good design for store stuff such as birds’ food. With detailed manual and complete accessories, it will take you short time to assemble it well.
- 🐦【Easy to Feed with 8 Feeding Doors and Cups】- With eight feeding doors and feeding cups, you can easily add food or water to feeding cups for birds’ eating. Many feeding cups provide more choice for more than one bird.
- 🐦【6 Interior Perch for Rest and Scratch】- There are six wood interior perches for birds’ resting and scratching their paws. It is good for your birds’ healthy growth. Different heights of wood perch bars can meet different needs of your birds for height and add more interest for them.
3.Giantex Bird Cage With Play Top
If you’re looking for a durable cage with a play top for your feathery friend, this one will suit its needs.
They’ll surely enjoy the freedom and time outside their cage with this design.
That’s if you trust them enough that they will not fly away once you give them some time to breathe in the outside world.
Furthermore, the play area is also equipped with wooden perches where birds can stand, a ladder, and two stainless dishes for food and water.
Since it has three feeding doors, accessing its feeding bowls will not be a hassle.
It also comes with several freebies like large stainless steel feeding bowls and a long wooden perch for resting.
Not to mention the metal tray and removable sliding grate designed for easy cleaning.
Its main door is secured with a push-lock mechanism, so you can sleep without worrying over your bird’s security at night.
The lock-equipped swivel caster at the bottom also provides better mobility and stability at the same time.
It’s large enough to house small and medium-sized birds but not enough for Macaws and larger species.
- One long wooden perch
- Four strong swivel casters, two locks
- Three feeder doors with locks
- Three interior feeding bowls
- Removable metal tray and sliding grate
- Size: 37 inches tall (total of 66 inches if the stand is included), 24 inches long, and 22 inches wide
- Bar spacing: 3/4 inch
- Model: PS5779
- Durable and stable construction
- Easy-to-clean and access
- Not suitable for multiple birds
- Tricky assembly
- Divided breeding cage: The dividing grate helps divide this wide bird cage into two individual breeding/living spaces for housing two or more birds. Each bird cage system contains 2 perches, 2 feeders, a front door with lock, a side nesting door, pull-out tray and grate.
- Ideal for small birds: This divided breeder cage measures 37.6’’/95.5cm long, 18’’/45.5cm wide, and 41.5’’/105cm high with 0.4’’/1cm wire spacing, which is perfect for housing 3-4 small birds such as lovebirds, canaries, finches, parakeets, cockatiels, Caiques, Quaker parrots, green cheeks, budgies.
- Sturdy metal construction: Constructed of quality wrought iron with durable and tough hammered paint coating, this divided breeder cage is safe for your pets to live in and sturdy enough for them to chew on.
- Detachable rolling stand: Founded on four 360-degree swivel ball-shaped wheels, this wide bird cage can be rolled without effort. The upper cage can be used separately thanks to the detachable design.
- Easy cleaning: With the waterproof finished metal cage and the bottom slide-out tray, cleaning for this cage would be a breeze for pet parents. The pull-out grate at the bottom prevents birds from walking in its excrement.
4.YAHEETECH 41.5″ Stackable Divided Breeding Cage
As its name suggests, this cage is designed for breeding purposes, which explains why it has a detachable divider.
We love that you can separate birds in the wide cage with the divider when necessary, for example, when birds are fighting.
Cleaning is a breeze, thanks to its detachable slide-out tray and grate design.
You can move and lock it anywhere, too, with the help of its 360-degree swivel wheels with brake features.
Since bird safety is one of our priorities in their home, you’ll indeed feel at ease with its heavy-duty crescent lock and pet-safe paint.
On top of that, it’s equipped with an extra storage shelf at the bottom, too, where you can store your cleaning tools, bird seeds, and toys.
- Detachable Divider
- Slide-out tray
- Extra Storage Shelf
- Heavy Duty Crescent Lock
- Spacing: 0.4 inch
- Weight: Pounds
- Dimension: 37.6 x 18 x 41.5 inches
- Easy Seed Refilling
- Durable construction
- Pet-safe paint
- Tricky assembly for non-DIYers
- Large perches not suitable for small birds
- Two large front doors with smaller inset doors
- Cup doors with integrated bird-proof door jams
- Play top area can be closed securely when not in use
- Slide-out storage shelf; durable, easy-rolling casters; for multiple small birds
- Pull-out bottom grille and debris tray for easy cleaning
5.Prevue Pet Products Playtop Flight Bird Cage
Similar to the Giantex cage earlier, this home designed for active birds has a play-top they can enjoy.
However, they vary in play-top design since Giantex has feeding bowls and a ladder on them.
But this cage is also worth considering because of its wrought iron construction with a non-toxic powder coating finish, and its reliability and sturdiness.
Additionally, it has four stainless steel cups, two wooden perches and cages, and seed guards.
The problem, though, is the perches may be too prominent for small birds that may struggle standing or climbing on them.
Moreover, the debris tray may not be able to catch feathers since they can easily float around.
- Slide-out storage shelf
- Pull-out bottom grille
- Debris tray
- Weight: 46 Pounds
- Dimension: 37 x 23 x 63 inches
- Quality craftsmanship
- Easy to maintain
- Accessible play-top
- Paint may chip off
- The tray can’t catch feathers
- SWEET HOME FOR SMALL BIRDS: The bird cage measures L46cm x W35.5cm x H99cm/ L18” x W14” x H39” with a bar spacing of 1.3cm/0.5”. It can be a spacious and safe home for small birds like budgies, canaries, lovebirds and finches.
- PLAY CENTER FOR BIRDS: Comes with 2 toys, a ladder and a swing that can be hanged freely inside the cage, this parrot cage can be both a sweet home and a play center for your lovely birds.
- PET PARENT-FRIENDLY DESIGNS: 2 wide-open swing doors offer easy access to the inner cage, convenient for cleaning and decorating; 7 small doors are prepared for assembling feeders (included), breeding boxes and birdbaths (not included).
- VERSATILE: This parrot cage is suitable for both home and commercial use. The generously-sized space, simple yet thoughtful designs make it a perfect choice for pet stores and pet hospitals, also can be used for decoration in flower shops.
- CLEAN WITH EASE: Slide-out tray and detachable mesh grate can be removed for easy cleaning. The mesh grate avoids birds from walking directly on droppings.
6.YAHEETECH 39-inch Roof Top Large Flight Parrot Bird Cage
This cage’s roof looks like a home, and it’s unique from others on this list.
It’s smaller in dimension, but it will do for small birds like budgies, canaries, and lovebirds.
We like that it’s pet-parent friendly since its swing doors have wide openings.
Furthermore, it’s easy to clean, thanks to its slide-out tray and neat because of its detachable mesh grate that prevents birds from walking directly on their droppings.
This cage is suitable for home and commercial use and comes with a swing and ladder for your pet’s entertainment.
Most importantly, the glossy paint of the metal frame and bars is pet-friendly and non-toxic.
- Slide-out Tray
- Four feeder doors
- Detachable Mesh Grate
- Comes with a ladder and swing
- Weight: 13.2 pounds
- Dimension: 18 x 14 x 39 inches
- Distinctive roof design
- Sturdy and durable metal wires
- Non-toxic paint and fine quality
- Equipped with stands and wheels
- Tricky to assemble
- Smaller overall dimension
7.Prevue Hendryx Travel Bird Cage
If you’re looking for a cage you can bring when you visit your bird’s vet or travel elsewhere, this is the one for you.
This travel cage features a minimalistic yet striking design.
Just like bigger cages, it also has a bottom grille and plastic pull-out tray that can make cleaning feel effortless.
Since its bar spacing is is 3/4 inch, it’d be best to use it for birds larger than Budgies because a small bird’s head might get stuck into it.
But no matter what type of bird you have, you need to watch when using this cage to ensure their safety.
- Cup holders lock
- Pull-out debris tray
- Large access door
- Cage folds and packs flat for storage
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Wire spacing: 3/4-inch
- Dimension: 20 inches x 12.5 inches x 15.5 inches
- Lightweight and portable
- Reliable construction
- Sleek appearance
- No wheels and stands
- Wide wire spacing
- Designed to house multiple parakeets, canaries or finch
- Two large front doors for easy access to your bird
- Plenty of room for your small birds to fly
- 2 plastic cups and 4 wood perches are included
- 26-inch long, 14-inch wide, 36-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing
8.Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage
Here’s another Prevue to our list, because why not? This brand is reliable, and its products are durable.
It looks similar to the Prevue Hendryx Wrought Iron, but this cage has no stand.
That explains why it’s cheaper than others, but it comes with a built-in handle that will enable you to mount or hang it.
Its design will suit those who prefer minimalistic design.
Cleaning should be a breeze since it also has a detachable debris tray and two large access doors.
You have to look out for any bent bar, though, since it can cause a severe injury.
- Two plastic cups
- Four wooden perches
- Slide-out tray and storages shelf
- Bar spacing: 0.5 inch
- Weight: 10 Pounds
- Dimension: 26inch x 14inch x 36 inch
- Minimalist but with good quality of paint
- Sturdy and durable
- Plenty of room
- Look out for a bent bar; if there is
- Doors may not stay open
- Ideal and roomy bird house for small birds such as parakeets, finches and others
- Solid pine wood construction for years of use and enjoyment
- 2 different sized door at the front for easy access to the inside area
- Water-resistant composite asphalt roof, baseboard and finish to help endure the elements
- Overall Dimensions: 24.25"L x 26.25"W x 65"H
9. PawHut 65″ Large Wooden Vertical Outdoor Aviary
This bird aviary shares many similarities with the previously mentioned cages.
It’s foldable like a suitcase, making it portable and easy to bring in travel, and it also comes with four locking wheels.
Unlike other cages mentioned earlier, this Pawhut bird cage has an adorable feature — the hammock.
It also has two ladders inside where birds can walk or jump and encourage them to be active.
However, since it has 1-inch spacing, it can be dangerous for tiny birds who might get their bodies stuck between bars.
Aside from that, it doesn’t have a stand, but it has casters and handles for more effortless movement.
- 1 Hammock
- 1 Detachable tray
- 2 Wire shelves and ladders
Weight: 29.55 Pounds
Dimension: 30 inch x19 inch x 43 inch
- Comes with a hammock and two ladders
- Wide wire space for birds
- No stand available
- Wire spacing is too wide
Our Final Thoughts About Bird Cages
There are plenty of birdcage options in the market, but each has its drawback.
So, no matter what type of cage you choose, you need to ensure it’s free from hazards, like paints that have chipped off or anything sharp that protrudes or may injure your pet.
Furthermore, you have to ensure it’s well-maintained and clean to prevent your bird from getting sick.
Keeping a birdcage unclean may also pose a risk to your health.
Therefore, you’re doing yourself and your bird a favor if you’re taking time to get rid of their excrement and sanitize the parts before reusing them.
If your bird sustained injuries or is bleeding, it would be best to consult an avian veterinarian and get him examined.
So, how about you? What birdcage design is your personal favorite?
Share it with us in the comment section below.